Dive over 150 times on the Great Barrier Reef, no experience necessary, working alongside professionals and all equipment provided.
Our Dive Traineeship is the perfect way to start living your dream!
How does the traineeship work?
The traineeship is designed for you to gain most of your knowledge and expertise through experience.
You will train and work on our vessels for a number of days in return for your certifications,
training dives and industry experience. No wages are awarded in this program.
How long is the traineeship?
The length of the traineeship will depend on your level of certification when you start the course, it can be up to 80 days with no certifications.
Most trainees will leave the course with around 150 dives in their log book. You will be diving 1-4 times every day on the Great Barrier Reef.
When can I start?
We are always looking for good candidates to complete the traineeship and if you are accepted on the course, it is possible to start at any time.
Your Career Pathway
As a trainee with Reef Safari, all your certifications will be through SSI (Scuba Schools International). SSI is internationally recognised, is ISO certified and a member of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council.
Reef Safari will pay for the following courses throughout your traineeship:
- SSI Open Water Diver
- SSI Stress and Rescue Diver
- SSI React Right
- SSI Advanced Adventurer
- SSI Dive Guide
- SSI Specialty – Science of Diving
- SSI Dive Master
If you complete your traineeship to a high standard, the next step is the ITC (Instructor Training Course). We offer the ITC to all successful trainees who wish to invest further in their career. While we cannot guarantee a job, we often employ our graduates for a period of time during our peak season.
Many of our home grown instructors have been employed permanently either in Australia or Fiji.
- Able to support yourself financially for the duration of the course. This is usually 3 months of training and up to 4 months with days off.
- Pass a QLD dive medical AS-2299 for dive professionals. (Approx. $130)
- Valid Australian work visa.
- Responsible for your personal insurance to cover you in diving.
- You will need to purchase deck shoes and a waterproof watch.
- Provide a uniform deposit.
- Be prepared for long days filled with fun and adventure!
What is included?
- All your course fees are paid and study materials provided.
- Extensive experience in the industry with approximately 150 logged dives.
- All dive equipment is provided. You are encouraged to purchase a basic dive equipment package at a wholesale price (mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuit).
- Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea is provided.
- Tea, coffee and water on the boat is provided.
- Accommodation is NOT included. Share accommodation can be found from $80 – $150 per week.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach the following:
- Existing dive certifications
- Copy of visa with expiry date. Can be emailed directly using MyVevo app.
- Photo ID (if Australian) eg Australian Drivers Licence
- Copy of travel insurance which covers you for diving or DAN Asia Pacific Diving Insurance